What Fedora makes sucking for me - or why I am NOT Fedora

Josh Boyer jwboyer at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 01:12:10 UTC 2008

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 10:55:33AM +1100, Bradley Baetz wrote:
> Josh Boyer wrote:
>

>> Do we have metrics on 'number of brand new packages going out as updates'
>> versus 'existing packages being bumped to new versions'?
>>
>> If not, how hard would it be to get those?  They would be rather important
>> to reviewing this idea at a FESCo level.
>
> I actually modified repodiff yesterday to look at the version string to
> work out what the change was (see attached).
>
> F9 -> F9+updates:
>
> Added Packages: 831
> Removed Packages: 0 (0 obsoleted)
> Modified Packages: 1608
>         Major changes: 390
>         Minor changes: 764
>         Release changes: 445
>         Release tag changes: 9

Very interesting.  And to clarify, Modified Packages does not include
the packages in Added Packages, right?

> F9+updates -> F10+updates:
>
> Added Packages: 258
> Removed Packages: 105 (0 obsoleted)
> Modified Packages: 4039
>         Major changes: 457
>         Minor changes: 673
>         Release changes: 1334
>         Release tag changes: 1575

For the purpose of this discussion, this data set isn't really
relevant.  Good info in general though.

> F10 -> F10+updates:
>
> Added Packages: 134
> Removed Packages: 0 (0 obsoleted)
> Modified Packages: 396
>         Major changes: 61
>         Minor changes: 202
>         Release changes: 132
>         Release tag changes: 1

And I find this to be a bit scary.  134 new packages have gone into
F10 in 2 weeks via updates??

> This is using the Everything repo as the baseline, and I ran this
> yesterday. 'minor' is an update where only the last part of the version
> string (after the last .) changed, major is everything else. Its not a
> perfect heuristic - looking manually at the list, the major updates are
> being over reported a bit.

Does "Major" include "Release changes"?

> Can someone who wants the new versions immediately explain why they
> don't want to wait an average of 3 months for the next fedora release?

6 months (unless you jump on Alpha/Beta).  But yeah, good question.

josh