What Fedora makes sucking for me - or why I am NOT Fedora

Bradley Baetz bbaetz at acm.org
Thu Dec 11 05:21:51 UTC 2008

Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 10:55:33AM +1100, Bradley Baetz wrote:

>> I actually modified repodiff yesterday to look at the version string to
>> work out what the change was (see attached).

> Very interesting.  And to clarify, Modified Packages does not include
> the packages in Added Packages, right?

Correct.

>> F9+updates -> F10+updates:

> For the purpose of this discussion, this data set isn't really
> relevant.  Good info in general though.

Well, not necessarily. Before I ran it I was expecting to find out that
most packages in F10 had already been pushed to F9 - ie that
F9->F9+updates was actually a bigger upgrade than F9->F10. I'm pleased
that that doesn't seem to be the case, but it would be interesting to
compare just the base install packages.

>> F10 -> F10+updates:

> And I find this to be a bit scary.  134 new packages have gone into
> F10 in 2 weeks via updates??

A lot of them were zero-day 'new package didn't make the freeze so chuck
it in ASAP' updates. Again, you can argue that new packages don't break
anything, but it comes back to the 'what is fedora's goal' discussion
that happens whenever this discussion happens....

Note that these are numbers from SRPMS, so package reshuffles don't count.

>> This is using the Everything repo as the baseline, and I ran this
>> yesterday. 'minor' is an update where only the last part of the version
>> string (after the last .) changed, major is everything else. Its not a
>> perfect heuristic - looking manually at the list, the major updates are
>> being over reported a bit.
>
> Does "Major" include "Release changes"?

No - all the categories are separate (except 'modified' includes all the
different modifications) - release means the R in NVR (and also doesn't
include release tag-only changes)

>> Can someone who wants the new versions immediately explain why they
>> don't want to wait an average of 3 months for the next fedora release?
>
> 6 months (unless you jump on Alpha/Beta).  But yeah, good question.

An average of 3, although you could argue that the downside of not
having the package available for 6 months is more than missing it for
one month.

Bradley