What Fedora makes sucking for me - or why I am NOT Fedora

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Thu Dec 11 06:06:37 UTC 2008

Stephen Warren wrote:

> Arthur Pemberton wrote:
>> On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 11:49 PM, Stephen Warren
>>>
>>> That's an argument for not having introduced the alpha/beta-quality
>>> release KDE 4.0 into Fedora in the first place.
>>
>> And that's an arguement for turning Fedora into something useless.
>
> What, usable software is useless? You can't possibly argue that KDE 4.0
> was a good choice given the need to replace it with 4.1 so quickly.

Useless in the light of the fact that there are dozens of other conservative
distributions; the whole point of Fedora is to be fast-moving.

And having something to replace with 4.1 when it's ready was one of the
reasons we decided on 4.0, upgrading 3.5 to 4.1 post release would not have
been feasible, 4.0 to 4.1 was. Nobody was forced to upgrade to F9 the day
of the release. That said, I used F9 with 4.0.x on my laptop and it was
perfectly usable as well.

        Kevin Kofler