What Fedora makes sucking for me - or why I am NOT Fedora

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Thu Dec 11 06:15:34 UTC 2008

Stephen Warren wrote:

> Horst H. von Brand wrote:
>
>> And presumably you (and everybody else) would wait out the "until known
>> good" period; and as nobody tried it before, get to keep the pieces of
>> the resulting breakage...
>
> If that is true, then it would mean there's nobody who wants bleeding
> edge. That in turn would mean that Fedora should be redefined to not be
> bleeding edge, because nobody wants it that way...

The problem is that users are asking for contradictory/impossible things:
they want new versions as soon as possible, i.e. the day upstream releases
them, but also updates tested for weeks. Fedora currently has a good
compromise (new versions normally get 1-2 weeks of testing, and major
changes known to break things are only pushed to Rawhide), people who need
something more conservative should be using a more conservative
distribution.

And there's also a Prisoner's Dilemma problem here: users moving to the
conservative update stream => fewer testers for updates-testing and updates
=> more breakage => more users moving to the conservative update stream and
the vicious circle is complete.

        Kevin Kofler