Any chance of seeing GCC UPC in Fedora?

Andrew Haley aph at redhat.com
Thu Dec 11 11:05:40 UTC 2008

Jakub Jelinek wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 01:23:59PM -0800, Conrad Meyer wrote:
>> On Wednesday 10 December 2008 12:55:34 pm Orion Poplawski wrote:
>>> Any chance of seeing the GCC UPC compiler in Fedora?  Could it be its
>>> own package even though it's basically a patch on top of GCC?
>> Is there any reason not to provide it as part of GCC given that it simply
>> extends the functionality of GCC (adds another language frontend)? Does
>
> Yes, very important reason.  From what I see, it has been ported to GCC
> 4.2.x and 3.4.x, that's not sufficient for Fedora, where we'll soon be
> switching to GCC 4.4.x.
>
>> upstream plan to get its patches included in GCC upstream?
>
> Unless they actually get them incorporated into upstream GCC, they won't
> be in Fedora primary gcc packages.

Yes, this is a crazy situation.  They're condemned forever to be scrambling
to keep up with gcc unless they submit the patches upstream.

Everything I've seen in the upc/ dir is marked
"Copyright (C) XXXX  Free Software Foundation, Inc."

... so presumably thay have no objection to submitting it.

Baffled,
Andrew.