What Fedora makes sucking for me - or why I am NOT Fedora

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Thu Dec 11 12:36:29 UTC 2008

Till Maas wrote:
> But e.g. it is still not possible to receive gpg encrypted messages with
> kopete, which is a major regression, because the alternatives are only to
> not use Instant messaging or to use a different client.

The kopete-cryptography package which adds this was pushed out to F10
updates-testing this week. (I'll have to see if I can get it to build on
F9. It appears to require some library from kdepim 4, which is not
available in F9, so it probably won't build on F9, at least not without
some form of hackery. We'll see.)

> Also if you look at the Fedora Bugtracker, there are a lot of bugs that
> people would like to have fixed in general, they probably do not really
> want to wait always want to wait 6 months to get it fixed.

Yes, one of the big problems with strict "no new versions" policies is that
it prevents bugfixes too. Debian stable and even Ubuntu tend to have many
bugs which could be fixed by simply upgrading to a bugfix version, yet they
won't do it.

        Kevin Kofler