What Fedora makes sucking for me - or why I am NOT Fedora

drago01 drago01 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 12:59:16 UTC 2008

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 1:45 PM, Robert Scheck <robert at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> The mcstransd was implemented before as non-daemon. But for some reason it
> got a daemon and since, the performance is more poor.

That's not true a daemon that runs does not automatically degrade
performance ... most of them spend 99.9% of the time sleeping, waiting
to wake up when something happens.
Now tell me how does this affect performance in any way?
Increased start up time is the only thing .. as for memory they will
be simply paged out when a non sleeping process needs the memory.

> Yum-updatesd could
> get a cronjob - I think being up-to-date is nice, but being too up-to-date
> can hurt very much for a Fedora user nowadays (e.g. dbus).

Bugs happen and this was not a feature update but a security! one that
broke things, so doing "just bugfixes" wouldn't have avoided this ..

Having new software/features/drivers without having to wait ~3 months
is one of the reasons why I (and many others) use fedora.