What Fedora makes sucking for me - or why I am NOT Fedora

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Thu Dec 11 16:49:25 UTC 2008

> You have to decide: do you want updates or do you not want them? If you
> don't want to wait for the next CentOS release, then obviously you need the
> update quickly, so you are in Fedora's target base. But then you can't
> complain that you get updates too quickly! You can't have both ways.
> (You're one of those users with contradictory requirements I mentioned
> elsewhere in this thread.)

Updates != upgrades.

I think frequent updates to given package set to fix bugs is great.
Frequent upgrades to a package set for new upstream features, behavior,
bugs, incompatibilities is not so great.

With the 6 month cycle of Fedora, and our willingness to break things
like crazy in the rawhide world, we're still a very very fast distro and
unique in the distro space for early adoption of software.  This all
comes /without/ even considering what we do for updates to our releases.
Even if our releases only got bugfixes, we're still uniquely agile to
new software and technologies and very fast to new releases using those
things.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!