What Fedora makes sucking for me - or why I am NOT Fedora

James Antill james at fedoraproject.org
Thu Dec 11 17:45:23 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-12-11 at 13:45 +0100, Robert Scheck wrote:
>  Yum-updatesd could
> get a cronjob - I think being up-to-date is nice, but being too up-to-date
> can hurt very much for a Fedora user nowadays (e.g. dbus).

 The main reason¹ it was a daemon initially is that pirut/pupplet spoke
to it over dbus.
 Changing yum-cron to use yum-updatesd --oneshot was on my TODO list a
long time ago, but it turned out to be non-trivial and keep backwards
compat. with both pieces ... so nothing happened to either piece.

¹ One other feature is that we wanted "hourly" but with a random start,
so if everyone turned their computer on at 9am it wouldn't slam the
repo. ... this might be possible in newer cron's though.

--
James Antill <james at fedoraproject.org>
Fedora