What Fedora makes sucking for me - or why I am NOT Fedora

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 21:26:12 UTC 2008

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 12:12 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> That wasn't a question.  I'll figure out how to test for brokenness after
> you tell me how to reproduce exact tested, non-broken states. Or maybe I'll
> watch the mail list for subjects like 'sucking' or "dbus disaster" before
> doing any updates.

You are the one that introduced the "known broken" terminology and
have used in for like 3.2 million posts in this thread. Its your
concept. Not mine.

>> 2) Once you know its broken how prevent it from going on to a client
>> system
>> .... yum's configuration options work just fine for that.
>
> No, I have to know a lot more than "it's broken" to do anything with a yum
> configurations.  What I'd rather do is find an "it works", tested set and
> duplicate that and only that.

If I tell you that "it works" is that enough for you? Are you willing
to trust me on that? Are you willing to trust any individual
maintainer on that? I'll just write an auto-fire script to send you
email every time I install an update telling you it works.  How do you
define what qualifies as working well enough for you before YOU
install it? What specifically do YOU need to see happen for you to
feel an update is vetted enough for you to install?  And once you tell
us what those things are... are YOU going to help implement them?

>> 3) If you found out its broken after you installed it on a client
>> system how do you revert to a previous update?
>> ... you keep a local cache of previously installed updates. yum lets
>> you keep a local cache..per client. The caching is off by default but
>> it can be turned on.
>
> Is that really the plan you expect users to follow?  Has anyone even tried
> that to see if it works in the general case?

I've used it. On my systems running Fedora which I maintain to be used
and updated primarily by other people (like my wife's desktop).. I do
in fact keep a local cache of previously installed updates which I
purge based on my local administration policy judgement.  When there
is an update that breaks functionality for her I am able to manually
install the cached older version and then set an exclude. I don't have
to use it often.

-jef