What Fedora makes sucking for me - or why I am NOT Fedora

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri Dec 12 02:44:11 UTC 2008

Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> I'm packaging a project that does monthly releases too (or did, it
> slowed down a little). Each new release brings bug fixes and features
> part of our userbase cares about. Anyone not having the latest features
> may have problems communicating with someone who does. Some releases
> have made changes that made people complain in the past. This package is
> in the default install set and should be installed on 90%+ of our
> userbase.

dejavu-fonts?

> And you know what? I don't push updates to stable releases. I haven't
> for a long time. Users can wait a little. The world does not end.

IMHO this is a bad decision. I remember the times you pushed out all the
updates and they never caused any problems.

> 6 months is really nothing except for update junkies. And update junkies
> will be happier with rawhide anyway.

No they won't, because there's a lot of breakage in Rawhide.

And people use Fedora *because* of the updates. There are dozens of other
distros to use for those who don't want them.

> Anything but a major bug fix or initial import has no place in Fedora
> updates. Other stuff helps very advanced users who can manage update
> breakage and hurts pretty much everyone else.

Update breakage induced by a font package? Come on... :-)

        Kevin Kofler