Fedora QA ? - Re: What Fedora makes sucking for me - or why I am NOT Fedora

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 12:38:53 UTC 2008

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 12:20:07 +0100, Ralf wrote:

> > > BTW: IMO this raises the next questions: Why don't successful koji
> > > builds not automatically land in testing?
> >
> > A build being successful does not imply that it is ready for release.
> > It could still do something wrong [in the .spec, at run-time, ...].
>
> Right, but ...
> > Automatic pushes to updates-testing would only lead to cases where
> > somebody forgets to withdraw a build and also forgets to enter release
> > notes.
>
> Pushing packages to "stable" still requires approval by a human
> (normally the maintainer).

The problem Fedora has is that updates-testing is not popular enough.
It is counter-productive to flood that repo with builds automatically,
without somebody raising a green flag and declaring a build as an update.

A compromise would be to make this optional via a pkg cvs make target with
bodhi-client (see "make update"), but without the need to fill in forms.
The update could still be edited inside bodhi web.

> => Without this karma crap, this, so far mere bureaucratic step can be
> avoided.

It's not "karma crap", but some +1 voters have shown more than once that
they haven't tested packages painstakingly.
The possibility to vote -1 and leave a comment is quite good actually,
because this feedback is tied directly to the actual update request. On
the contrary, as we know, bugzilla spam overwhelmes the package
maintainers.

Whenever someone says "Fedora is community-driven" I'd really like to see
that it means "update pkg foo passed the testing done by a group of
power-users" and not just "Fedora provides a system where a single package
maintainer is free to unleash a pkg and burden the community with breakage".
Not only do we need to give interested parts of the community the
opportunity to contribute testing, we need to request it actively. "You
want updates, then help with testing to make sure the stuff remains
usable." Let it stay in updates-testing for several weeks, if need be.
Six months pass so quickly, the next Fedora will be released soon
enough if the community shows no interest in updating the older dist
releases.