What Fedora makes sucking for me - or why I am NOT Fedora

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Fri Dec 12 16:52:03 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-12-12 at 07:29 -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
> Maybe an example of an update you consider irresponsible?

Lets pick up some mysteries:

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/F8/FEDORA-2008-10242

homebank-3.8-1.fc8 -> homebank-4.0-1.fc8

Nothing listed in the bodhi update to give users any indication as to
what the update brings, no bugfix information, no new feature
information to verify functionality.  Not even rpm changelog.  (although
in this case, the rpm changelog is "- 4.0".  How are users supposed to
consume this and provide appropriate feedback?  Why was a major version
bump necessary at this very late stage of Fedora 8's lifespan?

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/F8/FEDORA-2008-9959

texmaker-1.7.1-1.fc8 -> texmaker-1.8-1.fc8

Only details in bodhi is "New upstream release".  Only rpm changelog is
"- New Release"  This appears to have been spammed from F8+ all at the
same time.  Same story as above.  As with above, 0 feedback in bodhi and
a relatively short period in updates-testing before the maintainer
pushed it on over to -stable.

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/F8/FEDORA-2008-10246

More of the same.  No bodhi information, no changelog information beyond
"version upgrade", a single day between the update hitting -testing and
the maintainer requesting it go -stable.  0 feedback in bodhi.  Again
spammed across the release board.  Why?

I could go on and on with these mysteries, which could be sane updates,
but who knows!?  Certainly not the consumer.

For more dangerous updates I'd have to start prowling forum histories
and the like to find updates that were pushed that caused real problems.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!