Making updates-testing more useful

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri Dec 12 17:35:02 UTC 2008

Seth Vidal wrote:
> I bet it is not wrong. the i386 packages probably provide what was
> required. They just provide it sub-optimally.

But that's really the problem: yum (*) tries to resolve conflicting
requirements (of the A requires C = 1.2.3 and B requires C = 2.3.4 type) by
installing C.x86_64 = 2.3.4 and C.i386 = 1.2.3. This obviously can't work
(it will in almost all cases lead to file conflicts, and it is almost
certainly not what the user wants). I think there needs to be some
restriction that C.x86_64 and C.i386 need to be of the same EVR.

(*) (and other depsolvers too, I've seen apt-rpm do it too, but let's focus
on yum here)

(And sorry for the previous incomplete message, I accidentally hit
Ctrl+Enter and KNode sends the message immediately if I hit that.)

        Kevin Kofler