Fedora Com System ? (was: Package updating problem and solutions)

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 22:51:36 UTC 2008

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 4:15 PM, Seth Vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Dec 2008, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
>>

>> I was thinking more of a human driven system.
>>
>> Example:
>>
>> 1) The recent email to the announce list would be "sent out" to all
>> F10 users as a "critical alerting" instructing them accordingly.
>
> We don't have any way to notify all fedora users. We don't even remotely
> have anything like a users list and we won't be getting one.

Well, all I think would be necessary is a preloaded RSS applet that is
tuned into a Fedora feed.
- no maintaining of a user list
- no actual sending (I think that the majority of the people who would
benefit from this won't care that this information isn't actually
being spent to them specifically)

>> 2) Something takes down the build system, a "infrastructure alert:
>> would go out letting everyone know that updates will be dead for x
>> hours"
>
> and that would be sent, where?

Ok, I clearly shouldn't have used the word sent. I was just trying to
give the image of something more intelligent than an RSS reader, but
using the same basic technologies and principles.

>> 3) ...  i think you get the drift
>
> not exactly

I am thinking in terms of the a "Fedora Radio" which sits on the
desktop and lets people know when things are happening, with an
adjustable "debug level". So it would just pull stuff from a feed and
only display relevant alerts, kind of like those weather radios used
in the USA (http://www.weather.gov/nwr/) Something that the user
doesn't have to mess with to have it be useful, but can be be messed
with to make less annoying (if someone would find that annoying)

This is seemingly a lot clearer and logical in my head, will attempt
to draw a flow chart or so at some later point.

--
Fedora 9 : sulphur is good for the skin
( www.pembo13.com )