Where do we go from here DBus problem?

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Sat Dec 13 05:33:58 UTC 2008

Colin Walters wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 8:39 PM, Colin Walters <walters at verbum.org> wrote:
>> On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 7:41 PM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
>>
>>> The D-Bus policy really ought to be reverted and never touched again in F8,
>>> F9 and F10. This should only be changed in F11 or even F12. The change is
>>> just not ready for production use at all.
>> I've been working through things this week and had hoped a lot would
>> get fixed, but at this point it has turned into an enormous ball of
>> yarn.  So thinking about it I suppose you're right.
>>
>> I'll do an upload which reverts by tomorrow.
>
> F10:
> https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=74525
> F9:
> https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=74524
>
> Any testing before tomorrow is greatly appreciated, I've tested a
> local F10 on my machine.  After that I'll make a Bodhi update.

Colin, I'm glad that you are reverting this because it was clearly a
mistake to fundamentally change how it works in the middle of a release.

However might it be possible to improve on this reversion a bit.  Might
it be possible for apps to output, perhaps to stderr, when it hit a case
where it would have failed before this reversion?  Then it would be more
obvious what needs to be fixed in regular updates later, and as we
approach F11.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com