What Fedora makes sucking for me - or why I am NOT Fedora

Robert Scheck robert at fedoraproject.org
Sun Dec 14 18:33:54 UTC 2008

Hello Kevin,

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Robert Scheck wrote:
> > Of course I understand, that dbus is nice and so on, but I'm not seeing
> > how it is really useful. Again, the push happens about every 24 hours and
> > the cache of the downloaded files by yum expires after maybe one hour, if
> > I am not wrong here. Why do we generate such unnecessary load and traffic?
>
> Because you do not know *when* the update push happens. And there are
> third-party repos which sometimes push several updates a day.

maybe true, but do users really need to be so up-to-date? Mirrors also need
time to synchronize, as we learned in this thread, right? I'm still lacking
a good reason why we're checking each yum interaction for updated metadata
as far as I can see.

And since when support we third-party repositories? I had to hear here in
my thread as well, that e.g. proprietary drivers are not supported by
Fedora. So why should third-party repositories get any love and so on by
Fedora now?

If a third-party repository needs something else, make an option into yum
to configure that per repository.

If one time per 24 hours is too less, which seems understandable, let us
switch to two or three times a day, that's even three times more than for
Fedora a push to stable happens. And waiting 4 to 6 hours for an update is
more then acceptable - again, mirrors need also time to get synchronous.

Greetings,
  Robert