Broken dependencies in Fedora 10 - 2008-12-14

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 13:41:04 UTC 2008

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 18:33:06 +0530, Rahul wrote:

> > Btw, the wrong Obsoletes in gyachi have been discussed in private mail.
> > I'm unsure whether the packager has understood the problem and the fix.
>
> It appears he does but he seems offline for a couple of weeks. He also
> told me, you had informed him that the issue isn't a urgent priority. Is
> that because the updates are in testing repository?

No, they have been marked stable after just three hours in testing.

The first attempt at fixing it was half-hearted.
That's when I said:

| Take your time. Don't rush. The current commit in cvs is insufficient.

Without taking the time to fully understand RPM Obsoletes,
Obsoletes+Provides pairs and how they are entered into a spec file, the
problem will return sooner or late. Either that or -- almost guaranteed --
the %dist pitfall will be hit.