What Fedora makes sucking for me - or why I am NOT Fedora

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Mon Dec 15 17:21:16 UTC 2008

James Antill wrote:

>  By default yum sets the metadata cache timeout to 90 minutes, now if
> you want to optimize for Fedora you might be tempted to change this to
> "1d" so yum will only re-check it's metadata once a day. However if you
> turn on your laptop at 22:00 Sunday, then you'll miss any updates from
> Monday until 22:00 Monday night.
>  Or more technically, from any given Fedora update you'll have to wait
> _upto_ 1 day later to see them.
>  This then only gets worse with mirrors.

90 mins is just too often. Isn't it? 1d would be more appropriate as a
default, I think if we somehow manage to sync the metadata expiry time
to factor in the delay caused by mirrors.

>  I've said for a long time, if you want a "zero network" yum the best
> thing you can do is run yum-updatesd it metadata only mode.

This probably needs to go into a FAQ. The question on why yum has to hit
the network for every operation comes up way too often. Perhaps the FAQ
can answer that as well.

Rahul