What I'm going to do: Was: RFC: Description text in packages

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 09:49:40 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-12-16 at 17:30 -0500, James Antill wrote:
>  Personally I think the use of '"', ., *, •, o or ∘ ... are fine, just
> as long as all the tools are displaying the same non-invisible bytes².

Right, this discussion is going nowhere, and there are a lot of egos in
play. At the moment I'm thinking PK should just do this:

This is a spec file description or
an update description in bohdi.

The following things 'were' fixed:
- Fix `dave'
- Fubar update because of "security"

This will be converted by gnome-packagekit into:

This is a spec file description or an update description in bohdi.

The following things ‘were’ fixed:
• Fix ‘dave’
• Fubar update because of “security”

The double quotes will be marked translated as left and right chars (so
« and » can be used), the LaTeX single quotes (and double  will be
expanded and "- " converted to bullets.

If you're doing to use ☠ or ☢ in a spec file, then the text box is going
to look rubbish and be all on one line. If you use a description longer
than a few hundred words, gnome-packagekit will truncate it.

Now I'm going to go back to coding, rather than talking to angry people.

Richard.