What I'm going to do: Was: RFC: Description text in packages

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 17:31:58 UTC 2008

Richard Hughes wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-12-16 at 17:30 -0500, James Antill wrote:
>>  Personally I think the use of '"', ., *, •, o or ∘ ... are fine, just
>> as long as all the tools are displaying the same non-invisible bytes².
>
> Right, this discussion is going nowhere, and there are a lot of egos in
> play. At the moment I'm thinking PK should just do this:

> This is a spec file description or
> an update description in bohdi.
>
> The following things 'were' fixed:
> - Fix `dave'
> - Fubar update because of "security"
>
> This will be converted by gnome-packagekit into:

> This is a spec file description or an update description in bohdi.
>
> The following things ‘were’ fixed:
> • Fix ‘dave’
> • Fubar update because of “security”
>
> The double quotes will be marked translated as left and right chars (so
> « and » can be used), the LaTeX single quotes (and double  will be
> expanded and "- " converted to bullets.

Few things:
1) Why convert " => “” ? " is correct punctuation already.
2) The concern I see with conversion to bullets and `' pairs is not how
things that fit the use case are converted but how things that don't fit
the use case are converted.  ie:

This was due to dave's library's bug #12345

upstream's changelog said: `Dave's patch broke this'

# 12345 fixed

- and + formatting fixed for floating point numbers

> If you're doing to use ☠ or ☢ in a spec file, then the text box is going
> to look rubbish and be all on one line. If you use a description longer
> than a few hundred words, gnome-packagekit will truncate it.
>
> Now I'm going to go back to coding, rather than talking to angry people.

PackageKit is, of course, your baby but you're trying to add formatting
to a field that doesn't have any formatting rules inside Fedora or
cross-distro.  Please be careful (especially before introducing even
more invasive formatting like Markdown, textile, or reStructuredText as
that will wreak havoc with a great number of descriptions that don't
expect those formatting transformations to be applied.)

-Toshio