Futuer of grub/grub2 to F11

Eric Sandeen sandeen at redhat.com
Wed Dec 17 17:35:19 UTC 2008

Jochen Schmitt wrote:

> Hallo,
>
> nowaday I have read in the german fedora forum, that grub is not able
> to handle
> ext4 file systems.

Just for the record; there is an ext4 patch for grub available; grub
certainly *could* support ext4, and likely will.

> In opposite grub2 should be able to support ext4.
>
> Because Fedora/Red Hat is a leader of development of the ext4 file
> system, I want to
> ask about the plan for ext4 on F11 or F12.

ext4 has been in since F9; it is gaining steam and will likely have very
strong support in F11.

> Because, I'm assume, that you don't want to patch grub for ext4,

Why assume that? :)  Which version of grub we use, and whether we
support ext4 for /boot, reallly don't have to be related questions, I think.

-Eric