Fedora 10 - Boot Analysis

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Dec 17 22:44:15 UTC 2008

Les Mikesell wrote:
> drago01 wrote:
>> Talk and no changes due to flamewar = no or minimal boot time
>> improvement.
>
> I don't think there would be any flamewar if someone stuck to the
> subject of boot times and just deferred the MTA startup or put it in the
> background.   There is no need to wait.

+1. Since I switched my Asus to Cambridge, boot time has become a topic
near to my heart. But I still (AFAIK) have sendmail installed, because -
even though, forced to think about it, I probably don't need it - I
don't feel comfortable without a functional mail subsystem. (Maybe if I
removed cron also...)

I'm in favor of deferred-startup, however. As one of the individuals
opposed to breaking mail, I'd like to hope that's worth something :-).
After all, compromise is about finding a position that everyone finds at
least acceptable, if not satisfying. It would be nice if we could work
toward that instead of this "my way or no progress" attitude that seems
to be prevalent.

--
Matthew
"...anyway, that's my 0.02 toasters"