RPATH vs. libtool 2.2

Michal Hlavinka mhlavink at redhat.com
Thu Dec 18 10:34:17 UTC 2008

Hi,

I've just tried to fix some bug in rawhide, but I've ended up with
libtool/rpath error (again).

without autoreconf OR with autoreconf -f -i -v
 > error: ... contains a standard rpath '/usr/lib64' in [/usr/lib64]

with just autoreconf
 > ../libtool: line 763: X--tag=CC: command not found

In F-10 autoreconf was working fine, but in rawhide we have now new
libtool 2.2 and rpath patch was removed.

I've heard some rumours that it's not required with this new shiny
libtool 2.2 and everything (rpaths) should just work. So my question is:
Am I missing something? Is there some parameter for configure (or
something) required?

I was searching through rawhide reports and packages (commits)
containing rpath/libtool in changelogs. I've found people are using
chrpath, sed ..DIE_RPATH_DIE (from
wiki/Packaging/Guidelines#Beware_of_Rpath), or patches for configure*
and libtool.

So... what's the status of libtool 2.2? Should rpaths really just work?
If there is some command line arguments required or something, it should
be probably written on wiki
(http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines#Beware_of_Rpath).

Cheers,

Michal