What I'm going to do: Was: RFC: Description text in packages

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 16:17:35 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-12-18 at 10:57 -0500, James Antill wrote:
> perl-Regexp-Shellish-0.93-4.fc9
> txt2tags-2.5-4.fc9
> geeqie-1.0-0.4.alpha1.fc9
> tinyca2-0.7.5-3.fc7
> moreutils-0.28-3.fc9
> alpine-2.00-1.fc9
> FEDORA-2008-5191

Cool, that's a much smaller list that I expected. Thanks for looking
into this.

> ...the biggest problem seems to be parsing lists, for instance lists
> with a "large" indent like "       * item 1" which markdown parses as a
> <pre><code> block or using lists but using '-' or 'o' etc. instead of
> '*', so markdown again fails to parse them as lists (I also assume it'll
> fail to parse • too).

Yes, I think we just need to standardize. Most packages I've seen fall
into the "already work" camp.

>  I'm actually somewhat impressed by how well it does, but it still
> requires a change in behaviour for a known tag ... and obviously doesn't
> work anywhere near as well as what we have in yum (which just does
> wrapping).

Right, I too am impressed with markdown. I've written a GObject for
gnome-packagekit that decodes markdown to pango or text output in a
simple fast pass.

>  Not quite. For instance:
>
> msg = """\
> If you follow what x% of other people are doing and do:
>
> * lists
>  * that
>  - most
> - people
>  +   use
>
> Then it'll just work.
> """
>
> msg = """\
> If you follow what y% of other people are doing and do:
> * lists
>  * that
>  - most
> - people
>  +   use
>
> Then it'll just fail.

Ahh, my simple markup parser is a bit more tolerant to this and formats
the bullets correctly.

Richard.