RFC: Description text in packages

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Dec 18 20:15:37 UTC 2008

Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> So is your argument that because there is inertia, trying something new
> won't work, because inertia will necessarily win?
>
> Or is your argument that takeup will be difficult in the US?

I've been saying that for the last several messages, and trying to get
you to propose a means of starting to overcome said inertia.

> I hope you realise that Fedora is an international project,

I do. I also realize that there is a certain amount of US influence on
technology. (Some of it, alas, is from a certain Redmond company that
doesn't care as much as they might about international users.
Unfortunately, said company also exerts a lot of control on hardware,
which is part of the problem.)

> Even MS has magic symbols on something similar to xkb's 3rd and 4th
> levels, and I've not seen it hurting either windows or US people in the
> USA.

Um... no, those would be the META and MENU keys. As I already pointed
out, one of those is already generally used for shortcuts. (And I'm
saying that not just from personal experience, but also from usability
discussions regarding assignment of shortcut keys.)

> The markup Richard is so enamoured of is just as hard to
> educate about.

I disagree. I'm already exposed to that sort of markup, whereas I
/don't/ have an AltGr / Compose key on my keyboard.

Perhaps in an absolute sense (i.e. starting with someone totally
ignorant of both systems) that is true. In a practical sense, there is
already inertia for markdown, if only because people do something
similar to it already. While the playing field may be level for some
people, I think that markdown is likely more wide-spread.

--
Matthew
このテキストを翻訳する時間の無駄だばかばかしい