Recursively listing dependencies of a package?

Florian Festi ffesti at redhat.com
Thu Dec 18 20:25:51 UTC 2008

Ville Skyttä wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is there a tool that can list recursive dependencies (the whole dep tree) of a
> package from repodata?  And even better if it can be also told to resolve
> things like /bin/sh and libfoo.so.x to package names and output a list of
> those package names (+ EVRA) only (not files or Provides).
>
> What I've looked into so far:
>
> yum deplist: is not recursive, or I don't know how to tell it to be.  Also a
> bit verbose for my taste (lists all providers of deps).
>
> repoquery -R --resolve: otherwise exactly what I'm looking for, but it's not
> recursive either.  Adding --recursive to the options does not appear to make
> any difference.

Funny, I just answered exacly this question this afternoon. Attached is a
slightly modified yummain.py and a small shell script that is suitable to
generated package lists out of yum commands. Just virtually install the
package you are interested in into an empty build root.

The scripts may need a little tweaking and if it breaks you keep the pieces.

Florian