Call for vote: Nautilus use Browser view for fedora 11

Mark markg85 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 02:16:47 UTC 2008

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 1:45 AM, Jeroen van Meeuwen <kanarip at kanarip.com> wrote:
> Mark wrote:
>>
>> Hey,
>>
>> The question is simple:
>> Lets use the browser view of nautilus in the next fedora release.
>>

> Wasn't the non-browser nautilus mode chosen as a default for accessibility
> purposes, either upstream or in Fedora or wherever?
>
> I'm sorry, but I don't remember where I ever got that from... if at all it
> is true, even :/
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Jeroen van Meeuwen
> -kanarip

in case your interested in more details.
The gnome devs decided for Gnome 2.6 that they needed a new nautilus
browser mode: "Spatial" and make that default. I haven't found the
reasons why they needed it and why they made it but it's clear to me
now that they did it intentionally and probably don't intend to revert
it: http://library.gnome.org/misc/release-notes/2.6/ it was one of the
biggest features (aka failures) in gnome 2.6

There was also a person who didn't agree at it at that time along with
a range of other gnome decisions and forked gnome into: "genome" which
is dead at this moment. What i could find about genome is:
http://www.akcaagac.com/index_goneme.html I agree with most of his
opinions about gnome. I have those same opinions since i use it. Sad
that i stepped in the linux world in about 2005. Fedora was the first
linux os i could use although i mainly used windows back then.. just
fedora a few hours a month!

I also found a post from alexander larson with: "The future direction
of the Nautilus UI" where he probably didn't made a line of the
spatial mode yet but he is clearly talking about something like that.
If you want to read it:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/nautilus-list/2002-September/msg00093.html
So it's unlikely that we will ever see a +1 vote from that nautilus
dev which is also a package maintainer for nautilus. His opinion is
just the law regarding nautilus (so far for democracy! it more like
the lonely tiran that rules it all).

So in short. as long as the nautilus creator is also the maintainer
and the inventor of spatial we probably won't see this default
behaviour change. very sad but true!

I'm gonna quit gnome with all that i know now. i don't want to use it
anymore and be treated like an idiotic user (that's how gnome thinks,
not me). i don't want to be a part of gnome anymore and i'm wondering
what i should do with fedora. I want to keep RPM's but not fedora
(mainly because of codecs but this thread play a part in it as
well)... kinda hard. I'm gonna try to make my own file browser in QT
(gtk sucks)