PPC netboot on F-10?

Tony Breeds tony at bakeyournoodle.com
Fri Dec 19 03:19:58 UTC 2008

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 12:48:45AM -0500, Warren Togami wrote:
> http://wtogami.livejournal.com/29574.html
> Has anyone successfully netbooted any PPC Mac with F-10?  I tried a G3
> iMac and G5 tower today with only failure.

For what's it's worth I'll dig up a couple of these machines and see if any
light can be shed on this.  There have been a few problmes with netbooting
"large" (>12Mb) kernels on ppc64.  It seems reasonable that the same problems
could be affecting older machines.

One thing you may like to try is moving open-formware

0 > setenv real-base 2000000
0 > reset-all

Then try the netboot.

But you're right at least a few of the problems are firmware bugs.

Yours Tony

  linux.conf.au    http://www.marchsouth.org/
  Jan 19 - 24 2009 The Australian Linux Technical Conference!