GNOME menu ugliness - Name/GenericName

Till Maas opensource at till.name
Fri Dec 19 11:06:38 UTC 2008

On Fri December 19 2008, Michael Schwendt wrote:

> Is this still the case? - Seems so. GNOME here only shows the Name=
> entries. How does KDE handle this?

KDE 4 shows the GenericName in big letters and when the mouse pointer is above
one entry, the Name is also shown in smaller letters below the GenericName.
Imho it is very convinient and not ugly.

> Why do we have a policy on "correct usage" of Name/GenericName that would
> make the menus look ugly. It's not just the mix of Name/GenericName in

A screenshot may help to understand, how ugly it looks in Gnome. Here is a
Screenshot from KDE:

http://till.fedorapeople.org/tmp/KDE-GenericName.png

Regards,
Till