Call for vote: Nautilus use Browser view for fedora 11

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Fri Dec 19 11:12:56 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-12-19 at 03:16 +0100, Mark wrote:

> So in short. as long as the nautilus creator is also the maintainer
> and the inventor of spatial we probably won't see this default
> behaviour change. very sad but true!

I don't understand this harsh reaction. Yes, I am the maintainer of
natilus, yes I am the primary developer of nautilus for at least the
last 5 years. Yes, I am the packager of nautilus in fedora. Yes, I
implemented (not invented!) spatial mode in nautilus, for the reason
that I think its a good UI model for a file manager, especially one
targeted towards non-computer-experts like nautilus.

However, I don't think spatial mode is always what you want, so nautilus
also has the browser, always availible in the spatial window menus and
in the panel menu, if you want to do something where it is more in line
with what you want. Its not an afterthought either, we maintain it and
add features to it. And, we also have a UI preference to totally turn
off spatial mode for those that don't like it.

The question is, why are you so persistant about pushing your
preferences on everyone. You think I'm a fucking nuthole to have picked
spatial as the default, yet you think you should decide what the default
should be. Thats as much a decision as what I've done and the people who
dislike it will write long tirades about how you're a fucking nuthole,
how they are gonna leave/fork gnome/fedora etc. Yes, it is possible to
have a discussion of what the defaults should be, but it should be a
sane one with less emotions, no namecalling, a realization that someone
else (who spent many many years working on the piece of software) may
have a valid opinion, and a genuine interest in finding out the
reasoning behind the various options.

I have been convinced to change my mind by such discussions before, so
I'm not just blocking other peoples ideas. Of course, your random
rantings and namecallings don't exactly make me interested in having a
discussion with you.