A way out of the update trap

Will Woods wwoods at redhat.com
Fri Dec 19 17:57:38 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-12-15 at 17:26 -0500, Will Woods wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-12-14 at 12:00 -0600, Jerry Amundson wrote:
> > >
> > > I think that's too broad a target to start with and you don't have the
> > > QA resourses in place to support a policy that broad.
>
> Definitely too large.. but not by a lot.
>
> > > Right now. I am asking us as a project to suck it up and identify a
> > > top functionality priority and to live within our means as it comes to
> > > existing QA expectations.
>
> The informal Critical Path for current QA testing is: yum and its deps.
>
> No matter how bad *other* things are broken, as long as yum works you
> can 'yum update' and download fixes. But if yum breaks, you have a
> Severity CFF issue [1].
>
> Note that by "yum and its deps" I don't mean the actual "Requires:" on
> the 'yum' package, I mean "everything required to have yum run
> properly". So this includes stuff like - duh - networking.
>
> So, throw in NetworkManager and its deps. Like it or not, NetworkManager
> is the default network management system, and if it doesn't work, we are
> once again registering Severity CFF issues.
>
> Since this discussion is about defining a *formal* critical path, I
> propose the following:
>
> Bootloader: grub (yaboot on ppc), kernel, and all dependent packages.
> Networking: NetworkManager and all dependent packages.
> Update system: yum and all dependent packages.

A followup: here is the complete list of (source) packages in that set,
at least for F10-i386:

acl attr audit avahi basesystem bash bzip2 ca-certificates chkconfig
compat-db ConsoleKit coreutils cpio cracklib crontabs cryptsetup-luks
curl cyrus-sasl db4 dbus dbus-glib device-mapper-multipath dhcp dhcpv6
diffutils dirmngr dmidecode dmraid dnsmasq e2fsprogs elfutils ethtool
eventlog expat fedora-logos fedora-release fedora-release-notes file
filesystem findutils gamin gawk gcc gdbm glib2 glibc gnupg2 gpgme grep
grub gzip hal hal-info hdparm initscripts iproute iputils isomd5sum kbd
kernel keyutils krb5 less libcap libdaemon libdhcp libgcrypt
libgpg-error libidn libksba libnl libpcap libpng libselinux libsepol
libsmbios libssh2 libusb libx86 libxml2 linux-atm logrotate lua lvm2
MAKEDEV mdadm mingetty mkinitrd module-init-tools ncurses net-tools
NetworkManager nspr nss openldap openssl pam parted pciutils pcre
pinentry pm-utils PolicyKit popt ppp procps psmisc pth pygpgme python
python-iniparse python-urlgrabber radeontool readline rpm rsyslog sed
setup shadow-utils sqlite sysvinit tar tcp_wrappers texinfo tzdata udev
upstart util-linux-ng vbetool wpa_supplicant yum-metadata-parser zlib

No real surprises here, although there's a couple things that I hadn't
really thought about before: gamin, for instance. And lua? Oh yeah, RPM
has an embedded lua interpreter, doesn't it.

So that would be the proposed list of Really Important Packages.

-w