Call for vote: Nautilus use Browser view for fedora 11

Thomas Bendler ml at bendler-net.de
Sat Dec 20 13:47:06 UTC 2008

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 9:17 PM, Horst H. von Brand
<vonbrand at inf.utfsm.cl>wrote:

> Thomas Bendler <ml at bendler-net.de> wrote:
> > [Wants a vote here, as otherwise it is "designing without
> >  numbers". Claims Google shows majority don't like spatial]
> A vote here (where just the ones who feel strongly about the matter) is not
> a way to find out what "the users" want/like.

How did you find out that spatial mode is what the users want? You didn't
vote? Only a few people decided to use spatial mode because they think it's
what users like? Sorry, but the only things I here in this discussion is why
we can't find out what users like (or why this is the wrong approach to find
out what users like) and therefore we simply leave everything as it is. I
agree if you say this might not be representative if we only make a poll on
this list but fact is, no other distributions like Ubuntu, SuSE nor Windows
nor Mac OS use spatial mode by default. I still don't get the point why
Fedora goes a different way and the only answer I saw so far was something
like we can't count what people like more. Make a simple compare, search for
Ubuntu and the question on how to switch to spatial mode and make the same
for Fedora on how to browser mode. Do you see the difference? I think this
something which reflect (not in a perfect way but good enough) what people
want.

And you surely realize that what Google finds is just the complaints of
> those who _don't_ like it, those who like it won't go around commenting on
> the feature. Besides, if Google shows a few hundred complaints, that is
> still a tiny minority of Gnome users.

It's more than a few hundred and as I stated before, compare the number of
entries for people asking to switch to spatial mode with the number of
questions asking to switch to browser mode. For me it is quite clear that
browser mode is preferred by the majority of users but maybe I'm wrong.

Regards, Thomas