Call for vote: Nautilus use Browser view for fedora 11

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sat Dec 20 19:27:13 UTC 2008

Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

>>> And if you think it's a matter of patching the package, note that for
>>> any GNOME packages you'll find in Fedora for which there are patches,
>>> you'll find those same patches/functionality being upstreamed.
>> I think there is really a better approach to this, but it doesn't mesh
>> all that well with RPM capabilities.  That is, for every package or
>> package group where there is more than one commonly desired
>> configuration, there should be multiple configuration packages where the
>> last one installed wins, conceptually similar to the way the
>> caching-nameserver package is just a different configuration for bind.
>>
>> Then you could have a gnome-cluttered package for people who like
>> leaving trails of open windows splattered all over the screen and
>> gnome-clean for people who don't.
>>
> I don't think rpm packages are the right way to do this.  There might be
> some interesting way to extend sabayon to be a "configuration package
> tool", though.  That would be highly experimental and  is likely
> something that needs some thought and some work as a separate project
> for a while.

The point is that an end user shouldn't need to know the difference, or
that certain configuration settings come included in certain RPMs and
are somehow magical compared to other settings.  I think it is somewhat
of a mistake to embed them with programs in the first place and it would
be much cleaner to install the configurations as the actual package (and
the one you know about) with the necessary programs pulled in as
dependencies.  Pre-yum, this would have been a nightmare, but now it
would make perfect sense to have descriptively-named configuration
packages with many alternatives that pull in whatever programs might be
needed and installs the configuration you want, regardless of how
upstream or anyone else felt about the defaults.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com