Call for vote: Nautilus use Browser view for fedora 11

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Sat Dec 20 20:28:27 UTC 2008

Mark wrote:
> 2. I always was under the impression that gnome especially was a
> democracy but it turns out it's under dictatorship and then call it:
> "Meritocracy" with a dictator like taste.

I have yet to see any Free and open source project work like a
democracy. There might be some democratic aspects to portions of the
projects but generally, who does the work gets to decide how things are
done.  If Linus, says no, it doesn't get into the Linux kernel. Period.
No voting either. You have the full freedom to fork and convince others
to adopt it but then again, that would require actual work to be done.
> 3. Fedora has a community but when the community starts demanding
> something (use the browser mode as default) then it turns out that the
> actual fedora community, the ones that are helping to make fedora
> "better", are just a hand full of people.
A entire distribution full of free and open source software is given to
you at no cost with the all the freedom to modify and redistribute the
result.
I think it is more appropriate , to do less of "demanding" and more of
engaging in a discussion. People don't like being forced but they
generally prefer more participation.
> What i or any other community member says is simply being ignored. WE,
> the community want this feature to change and i'm not going to be
> silent about it!
A community is inclusive of all its participants, developers and users
included.  Finding consensus in a diverse community is a hard thing.  As
seen in this thread, there is no one opinion that is representative of a
community.  In Fedora, developers engage in a discussion or a debate,
sometimes a heated one but voting isn't a real discussion. It doesn't
show WHY people are for or against something which makes it much more
harder to make a decision either way.  The why is important, perhaps
more important than gross number count. If you don't agree to me, you
don't listen to the community is a often repeated thing but isn't a
valid statement.

> A very good example of the bad community direction is, to name someone
> again, Rahul. He always points you to your mistakes (fine in a way)
> but never adds (not in my experience) something constructive or
> helpful.... always a link to a wiki of somekind.

Even in my first mail I did point out other things you could have done
to be more effective. I try to be helpful and give you more references
instead of repeating the same things over and over again. That is one of
the reasons, I prefer to document things when questions come up
frequently on something or the other.  I am pretty sure, that is more
helpful than your approach but you seem to have penchant to convert this
into a emotional personal fight instead of just a technical debate.
> And for this entire issue where i made this thread for in the firste
> place. Don't expect me to be silent now. I will be vocal about this.
> fedora has a "freedom" sign
Being vocal  (and cross posting to increasing more mailing lists)
doesn't really change anything. Freedom is not anarchy. There are always
rules about how things are done within any community.
You do have the full freedom given by the project to do your own thing.
I even encourage you to do it. If you are really successful, that would
be a valid statement of your own viewpoints and will help others
reconsider their current opinions as well.  The current strategy doesn't
seem to work very well.

Rahul