Call for vote: Nautilus use Browser view for fedora 11

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sun Dec 21 02:31:02 UTC 2008

Les Mikesell wrote:
> The concept is symmetrical.  How can you hate opening the 2nd window if
> you didn't hate the first? It's the same thing.  Is is odd vs. even and
> fun again the 3rd time?

Krusader supports tabs (independent tabs in each pane). There are no ternary
file operations in Krusader, so there's nothing which could be done with a
third pane which can't be done with tabs in the 2 panes.

And the nice thing about having the 2 panes in the same window is that you
don't have to play around with positioning the windows so they don't
overlap. You just maximize the window (or even better, have it start up
maximized, which Krusader supports just fine) and get it nicely split in
the middle. It's also nice for things like keyboard accessibility because
everything in the file manager knows there's a second pane (for
example, "copy" defaults to copying to the other pane, so it can be quickly
used with the keyboard or with one click, no drop target to specify (but
drag&drop is also possible and the panes are guaranteed not to
overlap), "unpack" defaults to unpacking to the directory in the other pane
etc.).

Having used 2-pane file managers for some time now, I'd never want to go
back.

        Kevin Kofler