wxGTK2 -> wxGTK rename without Provides

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sun Dec 21 17:23:44 UTC 2008

Ville Skyttä wrote:
> This thinking sounds even worse - it is not only about preservation cruft
> in Provides, but it prepares things so that it is usual/expected and
> easier to ship cruft as several versions of packages, and thus more or
> less encourages
> it.  I thought we had guidelines how to do compat-* packages properly and
> some guidelines about their life cycle but it appears I'm wrong or just
> can't find it now :(

It's just plain impossible to get all the dozens of packages which use a
library like qt ported at the same time. Some changes (e.g. Qt 3 -> 4) will
invariably take longer than others (e.g. Qt 2 -> 3), but there's just no
way a migration like this can happen with no transition period, especially
with the current size of the Fedora Package Collection.

        Kevin Kofler