Stability and Release Cycles - An Idea

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Sun Dec 21 17:48:11 UTC 2008

On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 09:29:00AM -0800, Jesse Keating wrote:

> Right, all FESCo did was decide to not spend Fedora Infrastructure
> resources on the venture until it had a proven set of producers and
> consumers.

The infrastructure resource point was explicitly handled in the
proposal. How can there be a proven set of producers and consumers if
it doesn't exists yet? Proving that something is succesful before it
is started This is a task that is impossible to achieve.

Besides the reason was not that reason, the final decision was left
to the board. Many people on FESCo didn't like the proposal for
various reasons, including the Infrastructure resources, but it
wasn't the official reason. In fact I have never heard back the
board answer, but I prefer not knowing how the board refused it.

There was also  the joke about 'metrics', that are very difficult
or impossible to set up in free software projects, and are especially
not something in fedora -- nor EPEL. And that was a task to perform
before another proposal in the past (UAEL) could be accepted. A way
to say no in a authoritative way without saying it frankly.

Honestly, I would have preferred an authoritative answer like 'we
don't want because we don't want to devote a single resource to
that', rather than lame excuses and unfair impossible prerequisite
tasks.

--
Pat