Stability and Release Cycles - An Idea

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Mon Dec 22 10:10:17 UTC 2008

Les Mikesell wrote:
> backported updates.  Another which isn't really a long-term approach but
> could produce usably-stable versions that overlapped a bit would be to
> stop introducing new features in updates in one release by or before the
> beta of the next release and focus only on stability from that point to
> end of life.  Even if EOL is not extended you'd have a version that you
> could run until the next version reached that point - and people who
> want new features can jump to the next release instead.

No, we can't jump to the next release if it's only in beta. Just because we
want new features doesn't mean we want a beta distro! The earliest
a "stabilization" like that would be acceptable would be 1 month (time to
upgrade) after the next release is out.

And I don't see how the current system is not "usably-stable". Fedora just
works.

        Kevin Kofler