Stability and Release Cycles - An Idea

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Mon Dec 22 11:37:59 UTC 2008

On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 10:03:39PM +0100, Patrice Dumas wrote:
> > But cost and risk dumped on the community not the people proposing the idea.
>
> There was no risk, since it was explitcitly unofficial.

There is always risk including the risk you mis-estimated the cost

> > > It may be done otherwise, sure, it is free software, but I still
> > > think that it would be much less cost-effective.
> >
> > Perhaps.. but the sooner you go do it the sooner it happens.
>
> If the cost is higher, it may never happen.

Which any economist would I think take as fairly conclusive evidence there
is insufficient demand. Especially as the "cost" is a corner of someones ftp
site (probably free) [1], a bit of developers disk and machine time (basically
free nowdays) and developers own time.

Alan
[1] Seriously show me five people planning to contribute to this and I'm happy
to sort out a corner in ftp.linux.org.uk.