FC9, "missing syscalls" kernel target, and Promise Fasttrak TX4650 controller

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Mon Dec 22 19:25:20 UTC 2008

On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 06:07:44PM -0800, Philip A. Prindeville wrote:
 > I was going to build an RPM for the modules for the Promise FastTrak
 > TX4650 PCI-e RAID controller for FC9.
 >
 > Their support website claims it's supported "in-box" in FC9, but it
 > turns out that's not true:
 >
 > $ lspci -v -s 02:00.0
 > 02:00.0 RAID bus controller: Promise Technology, Inc. Unknown device 3f20
 > 	Subsystem: Promise Technology, Inc. Unknown device 3f22
 > 	Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 10

As Alan mentioned, the ahci driver drives this just fine.
To confirm, here's the entry for it from drivers/ata/ahci.c ..

        /* Promise */
        { PCI_VDEVICE(PROMISE, 0x3f20), board_ahci },   /* PDC42819 */

(I looked at 2.6.27 because it's what I had handy, so you may need to install
  the latest updates)

That lspci says 'unknown device' is irrelevant to the kernel.
There's no connection between the database lspci uses and the device IDs
in the driver modules.

	Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk