Stability and Release Cycles - An Idea

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Mon Dec 22 21:50:32 UTC 2008

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> That wasn't my question. My question is why not just use RHEL or CentOS
> if you just going to duplicate the same stream of updates for Fedora as
> well? It just seems busy work for no benefit.

Les's idea is to be able to start with say (past example) FC2, then go to
FC3, FC4 and from there to CentOS 4, effectively starting with newer
software and gradually moving to the next CentOS release rather than being
stuck with (at the time) CentOS 3.

Now I don't think that idea is implementable in practice, at least not
without major changes to how both RHEL and Fedora are developed which I
don't think are ever going to happen. But it's the idea and I think Les
described it pretty clearly. I just disagree with it.

        Kevin Kofler