FC9, "missing syscalls" kernel target, and Promise Fasttrak TX4650 controller

Philip A. Prindeville philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com
Mon Dec 22 22:28:32 UTC 2008

Jerry Amundson wrote:
> On 12/21/08, Jerry Amundson <jamundso at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 12/21/08, Philip A. Prindeville <philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I was going to build an RPM for the modules for the Promise FastTrak
>>> TX4650 PCI-e RAID controller for FC9.
>>>
>>> Their support website claims it's supported "in-box" in FC9, but it
>>> turns out that's not true:
>>>
>>> $ lspci -v -s 02:00.0
>>> 02:00.0 RAID bus controller: Promise Technology, Inc. Unknown device 3f20
>>> 	Subsystem: Promise Technology, Inc. Unknown device 3f22
>>> 	Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 10
>>> 	I/O ports at dc00 [size=128]
>>> 	I/O ports at d800 [size=256]
>>> 	Memory at fbeff000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
>>> 	Memory at fbec0000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=128K]
>>> 	Memory at fbefc000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8K]
>>> 	Expansion ROM at fbe80000 [disabled] [size=256K]
>>> 	Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2
>>> 	Capabilities: [70] Express Legacy Endpoint, MSI 00
>>> 	Capabilities: [94] SATA HBA <?>
>>> 	Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting <?>
>>> 	Capabilities: [140] Virtual Channel <?>
>>> 	Capabilities: [160] Device Serial Number 01-00-00-00-02-00-00-00
>>> 	Capabilities: [170] Power Budgeting <?>
>>>

>>> so...  I downloaded their drivers from their website:
>>>
>>> http://www.promise.com/upload/Support/Driver/FT%20TX4650-2650%20Linux%20Kernl%202.6%20PSC%20v1.1.0.12.tgz
>>>
>>> (Yes, I realize it will taint my kernel... and it doesn't include all of
>>> the
>>> source.)
>>>
>>> I tried to build it, but getting into the kernel directory:
>>>
>> Don't start there. Start with the README of the source you downloaded.
>>

> And it looks like you'll some code fixing to get it to compile...
> http://www.colinmackenzie.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=12:promise-satasas-driver-update-tx4650tx2650&catid=8:rotator&Itemid=7
>
> jerry

I saw the more recent postings...

My understanding is that the TX4650 has the RAID-5 XOR ASICs to
accelerate the reed-solomon code calculations... hence my wanting to use
this driver.

I picked up the patches that you pointed me at (including "The Czar's",
which was necessary to compile on 2.6.25 and subsequent)...

Then I looked at:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/CustomKernel?highlight=#Building_Only_Kernel_Modules

but had some questions about that.

The example is a little thin.  It doesn't explain what to do if you need
to pass in extra C flags, extra include directories, or if your driver
has several subdirectories that need to be compiled and linked together
(or if it is a partial-source release, and has canned object files that
also need to be linked in).

Anyone have a real-life example that they can point me at that does this?

Thanks,

-Philip