Stability and Release Cycles - An Idea

Horst H. von Brand vonbrand at inf.utfsm.cl
Tue Dec 23 17:02:52 UTC 2008

Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> >
> >> What is your optimal plan for someone to have local applications
> >> prepared and ready to take advantages of all the new developments
> >> in RHEL6 the day it is released?
> > This is really offtopic for this list and you should take it to a
> > RHEL list instead but many do participate in Fedora and move on to
> > RHEL beta releases and then to the GA release.
>
> It is only offtopic if fedora is never intended to be used by people
> planning to move their work to RHEL and clones when the corresponding
> release appears.  If that is a planned use case, then the discussion
> belongs here.

"Move work" != "move all the distribution"

I've moved work from Fedora to CentOS, even from rawhide Fedora to
next-to-last CentOS, no big problem really.

Moving our servers from Fedora to CentOS required reinstall from scratch,
and porting some data from backups. Did take a lot of work, but was done
once. Since we just updated the operating systems when we were ready for it
(mostly had time to check it out, and do any required changes, and test).

If you need stability, go for RHEL or CentOS + EPEL. If you want a
technology preview, go for Fedora (even rawhide). If you need both at the
same time on the same machine...
Casilla 110-V, Valparaiso, Chile 2340000       Fax:  +56 32 2797513