Becoming a co-maintainer. How? (proftpd)

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Tue Dec 23 23:20:26 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-12-19 at 20:38 +0100, Patrice Dumas wrote:

> >   - As a 'provenpackager' would it be acceptable for me to push a
> new
> >     release of proftpd if I have commit access even though I'm not
> >     officially a maintainer?
>
> This is also covered by a policy:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/Policy/WhoIsAllowedToModifyWhichPackages

Policy is a poor man's substitute for common sense. In response to the
original question -- I'd suggest that if there's a good reason for
wanting to ship a newer version, and if you've made a genuine attempt to
contact the maintainer, there's no reason not to go ahead and update it.

I would be very disappointed in any maintainer who got 'territorial'
about his/her packages for purely emotional reasons, rather than real
technical objections to your changes.

David.Woodhouse at intel.com                              Intel Corporation