Fedora 10 - Boot Analysis

Arjan van de Ven arjan at infradead.org
Thu Dec 25 11:23:06 UTC 2008

On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 17:34:01 +0100
drago01 <drago01 at gmail.com> wrote:

> > yeah assuming you optimize both. Right now neither are well
> > optimized; the boot part is known how to do ;)
>
> what exactly are the changes that need to be done to get a 5-10
> second boot?

the biggest thing that needs to be done is that a budget needs to be set
for the various pieces of the boot, that then has the desired target.

The rest is a consequence of that budget, and usually very local.
Yes sendmail needs to be sorted, cups, the selinux thing and a few
others.. but the time budget will make it very clear which these pieces
are.
In my experience, the individual pieces are not rocket science once the
budget is in place, there's no more excuses "but that other piece"...

resource scheduling is a well understood thing too, be it sreadahead or
the readahead that fedora has right now.

Yes parallel boot needs to be ignored (people who were at the plumbers
conference know that already)... it's counter productive. Asynchronous
actions are useful, but pure parallel is not.

--
Arjan van de Ven 	Intel Open Source Technology Centre
visit http://www.lesswatts.org