Futuer of grub/grub2 to F11

Casey Dahlin cdahlin at redhat.com
Mon Dec 29 11:11:27 UTC 2008

Lyos Gemini Norezel wrote:
> Casey Dahlin wrote:
>> Lyos Gemini Norezel wrote:
>>> Sorry... but that's just plain wrong.
>>>
>>> Maybe my use case is odd... but my /boot partition is a *MINIMUM* of
>>> 5GB on all of my computers.
>>>
>>> Why?
>>>
>>> 1.) I have a rescue image setup to boot if I need it...
>>> and
>>> 2.) I have a ghost image I made right after installing this version
>>> of fedora.
>>>

>> I don't see why either of those should exist entirely in /boot. You
>> are allowed further partitions.
>
> Where else would they be better placed?
> I have no desire to clutter my disk with endless numbers of
> partitions, and placing them in the root partition is just plain stupid.
>
>> Nothing in /boot should remain relevant after we get a proper kernel
>> in memory and enough modules to read the rest of the disk.
>>
>> --CJD
>
> Again... where better to place the tools that can fix a broken system?
>
> Keep in mind that these tools should rarely (if ever) be used.
>
> After all... these are supposed to be the tools of last resort...
> where better to place them... than the partition that's not supposed
> to be touched?
>
> The /boot partition is, in fact, the perfect location for such
> emergency tools.

No, you need a rescue partition. Possibly one that doesn't even appear
in fstab on your running system.

On an unrelated note I don't see as much value in having a rescue image
on the drive. If my system can't rescue itself, 9 times out of 10 the
boot loader is what went, and then how do I start my rescue image?

--CJD