Futuer of grub/grub2 to F11

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Tue Dec 30 07:48:19 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-12-29 at 06:11 -0500, Casey Dahlin wrote:
> On an unrelated note I don't see as much value in having a rescue image
> on the drive. If my system can't rescue itself, 9 times out of 10 the
> boot loader is what went, and then how do I start my rescue image?

Rescue image in root is useful for:

1) Mounted filesystems (i.e. root) can't be shrunk.

2) Rebuilding the initrd when moving a system to a differing
motherboard, which often results in a non-bootable system due to
(apparently) not having the right ATA driver built into the initrd.
Unfortunately, the new IDE drivers no longer seem to fall back on
oldsk00l PIO IDE like the old ones did, even on non-SATA systems.

3) Spectacular upgrade failures. (Broken init, broken glibc, broken
rpm...)

And probably some other things I can't think of right now.