some package splits

Nils Philippsen nphilipp at redhat.com
Fri Feb 1 10:02:59 UTC 2008

> Nils Philippsen (nphilipp at redhat.com) said:
> > Is this intentional (i.e. does it serve a purpose)? Otherwise the
> > depsolvers should be fixed as this makes splitting up packages rather
> > painful.
>
> If you have syslog-ng, rsyslog, and something else all obsoleting
> sysklogd, I don't think you want to automatically install all of them.
>
> (Then again, that may not be a proper usage of Obsoletes.)

Unless someone comes up with a compelling argument against it, let's
just act on the assumption that obsoletes are intended for the default
replacement(s) of old packages (and not just for any other package that
happens to provide the same or similar functionality). Perhaps this
should be spelled out in Packaging/NamingGuidelines?

Nils
     Nils Philippsen    /    Red Hat    /    nphilipp at redhat.com
 Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."  --  B. Franklin, 1759