request: can somebody please port googleearth-package to fedora?

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 02:29:30 UTC 2008

Andrew Farris wrote:
>> On 07/02/2008, Douglas McClendon <dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org>
>> wrote:

>>> I suspect this is a point you understand, but for the sake of clarity
>>> I'll highlight-
>>>
>>> The "googleearth-package" package/.deb/[theoretical .rpm], absolutely
>>> DOES have an open source license.
>>>
>>> What the _tool_ that it _provides_, does, is to generate a
>>> non-open-source rpm from a simple commandline invocation and network
>>> access.
>>>
>>> Please, it's fine if you don't want to be the one to do this, but from a
>>> legal and open-source perspective, I think that
>>> googleearth-package*.[s]rpm belongs in fedora just as much as the
>>> current .deb belongs in debian.

I'm not so certain of your assertion that this belongs in fedora is
true.  The script that Hans de Goede wrote to do roughly the same thing
for game content is pretty controversial and that has the benefit of
downloading closed content for an open source engine.  Having something
that does the same for GoogleEarth which is a closed source engine
working with closed data could very well cross the line.

> Well I don't know why you couldn't, but I think what livna is doing in
> this area is a superior solution anyway.

+1

-Toshio